- Hello, I'm Alexis. Welcome to Capitol Momma! I'm always out having fun with my little ones, exploring all that there is to see & do in the DC Metro area for kids. Join us on our adventures!
- February 2021
- August 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
Monthly Archives: January 2020
This past weekend I took my family to see Monster Jam at the Capital One Arena. It was our third time seeing the show and as usual it did not disappoint! The first time we went to Monster Jam, I was honestly a bit skeptical. I didn’t think I would enjoy it but wanted to give my kids the experience anyways and surprisingly I ended up loving it! This year was no different and I especially enjoyed watching my 2 year old truck obsessed son be in complete awe by the gigantic monster trucks. It really is a unique experience that is great fun for the whole family!
Monster Jam 2020 in DC featured eight different trucks: Alien Invasion, El Toro Loco, Grave Digger, Max-D, Megalodon, Monster Mutt, Soldier Fortune, and Zombie. My kids all loved the Monster Mutt and my girls were excited to see a female driving Soldier Fortune!
The Monster Jam competition is comprised of 5 main events:
- Timed Races through an obstacle course showcasing the driver’s ability and the truck’s agility.
- The Two-Wheel Skills Challenge for drivers to perform stunts that bring at least two wheels into the air.
- Performing Donuts requires the drivers to rotate the truck as many times and as quickly as possible.
- Head -to-Head Racing along a prescribed course.
- Freestyle driving allowing the drivers to show off all their best tricks and stunts.
The audience then has the ability to vote and score each driver from your own mobile device. I couldn’t believe some of the tricks they were doing with their massive trucks at approximately 12 feet tall and wide. The tires are 66 inches and weight at least 10,000 pounds. The trucks can travel up to 100 MPH and they can fly up to 125 to 130 feet out at up to 35 feet in the air.
This is an amazing show that’s really an experience your kids will talk about for a long time. We brought our six and eight year old daughters and our 2 year old son and they all loved it! The trucks have fantastic designs and paint jobs, and the drivers do a good job of getting the audience involved and cheering. I was really impressed by the power of the trucks, as well as the skill of the drivers.
A few tips before you go: Noise cancelling headphones area must for both adults and children. You can find some on Amazon that don’t cost too much and work great. Make sure to wear coats if it is cold outside because the arena is ventilated for the event. You aren’t allowed to bring in your own food or drinks. The lines to get into the arena are long, so arrive early!
Don’t worry if you missed all the Monster fun this weekend because Monster Jam is returning to the area with shows in Baltimore Feb 28 – Mar 1.
GIVEAWAY!!! Enter to win 2 tickets for The King’s Speech on Tuesday, February 11th at 7:30pm. Simply comment on this blog post for your entry. I will draw and notify a winner on Sunday, February 2nd. Good luck!
Tuesday, Feb. 11 – 16, 2020
Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocppvOUJIw&feature=emb_logo [youtube.com]
THE KING’S SPEECH is based on the true story of King George VI’s struggle with a speech impediment and the friendship he formed with his unconventional speech therapist, Lionel Logue. With the Nazi threat looming and civil unrest at home, royal secrets explode around the King as he’s thrust onto the world stage. David Seidler’s original play – which inspired the 2010 Oscar-winning film starring Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush – will make its long-awaited U.S. debut in a production The Mail proclaims “A right royal treat.”
Recommended for ages 13 and up
Monster Jam is coming to Capital One Arena in just 3 days! Make sure to get your tickets soon as shows are selling out fast!
Tickets and Pit Party Passes are available at www.ticketmaster.com.
Here is some fun trivia you can play with your kids on the way to the show!
Monster Jam Trivia Questions:
- How big is a Monster Jam truck?
- Answer: Monster Jam trucks stands approximately 12’ tall
- How much does each Monster Jam truck weigh?
- Answer: Each Monster Jam truck weighs 12,000 pounds.
- How tall are official Monster Jam truck tires?
- Answer: Each tire must be 66 inches tall.
- How many tons of dirt are needed to set up a track for one Monster Jam show?
- Answer: Stadiums use up to 500 truckloads of dirt. Arenas use over 100 truckloads of dirt
- How much horsepower does the average Monster Jam Truck have?
- Answer: Each truck produces approximately 1,500 horsepower, which is the equivalent of about 10 average cars.
- Who judges each Monster Jam competition?
- Answer: The fans! Through Judgeszone.com, each fan can have a say in the outcome. Monster Jam is the only sport in the world gives the judging exclusively to the fans.
- Who holds the most Monster Jam World Finals Championship titles?
- Answer: Tom Meents holds the record for the most Monster Jam World Finals Championships at 11.
- How many drivers hold two or more Monster Jam World Finals Championship titles?
- Answer: Since the inception of the Monster Jam World Finals, only 8 drivers have two or more Championships to their credit.
GIVEAWAY! I have a family 4-pack of tickets to give away for the 7pm show on Saturday, January 25th at Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. Simply comment below for your chance to win. I’ll randomly draw and notify a winner on January 16th. Good luck!
Monster Jam Show Description:
Monster Jam® Triple Threat Series™ is an action-packed, points-based event that showcases athletes as they go head-to-head in six different competitions, driving three different vehicles – Monster Jam Trucks, Speedsters and ATV’s. These world-class Monster Jam vehicles and athletes bring action-packed, adrenaline-charged family entertainment to fans across the country and deliver what they want to see most… more racing, more freestyle, more donuts, more action!
The Monster Jam® Triple Threat Series Pit Party provides unprecedented access to the Monster Jam trucks and drivers. This unique experience in the world of motorsports gives you access to see the trucks up close, take pictures, meet the drivers and get their autographs.
DATE: January 25-26, 2020
VENUE: Capital One Center
EVENTS: Saturday, Jan. 25 at 1:00pm, Saturday, Jan. 25 at 7:00pm, Sunday, Jan. 26 at 1:00pm
*Doors open one hour prior to event time.
TICKET PRICES: Tickets prices start at $20. Additional fees may apply. Ticket prices based on market demand and subject to change.
TO PURCHASE: Visit the Arena Box office or visit www.ticketmaster.com
PIT PARTY: Saturday, January 25th and Sunday January 26th
10:30am – 12:00pm (must accompany corresponding 1:00pm event ticket). Pit Passes can also be purchased in advance through Ticketmaster for $20 or on the day of the show at the arena box office.