October is one of my favorite months of the year. It’s so beautiful with all the Autumn colors and there are lots of family fun things going on in the DMV area. We were very lucky to have such nice weather so I tried to do as many outdoor activities as possible. I also love all the events and excitement leading up to Halloween. It’s the best to experience the holidays with our children’s enthusiasm.
Here is a recap of where our adventures took us this month. We spent a lot of time at farms – there aren’t many things my girls love more than feeding and petting animals! Visiting Mount Vernon with my girls for their first time was a definitely day to remember. And our Indiana Jones-ish adventure to find the 19th century stone cutting mill ruins along the Potomac was a unique experience!
Places we visited:
• National Air and Space Museum Udvar Hazy Center
• Smithsonian’s National Zoo
• Glenview Mansion Gardens
• Locust Grove Nature Center
• Green Meadows Petting Farm
• Catoctin Mountain Park
• Cunningham Falls State Park
• Riley’s Lock and Seneca Quarry on the Potomac River
• Discovery Room at Quince Orchard Library
Events we attended:
• Trick or Treat at Tudor Place Historic House and Gardens
• Fall Harvest Family Days at George Washington’s Mount Vernon
• Pumpkin Harvest Days at Butler’s Orchard
• Autumn Market Fair at Claude Moore Colonial Farm
• Gaver Farm Fall Festival
• Cabin John Eye Spy Train
• Potomac Day Parade
Classes and camps we attended:
Parks we played at:
I hope you found some good ideas for your family in this month’s list. After a very busy (but fun) October I’m thinking we might slow down a bit before the holiday rush starts….but we’ll see how my girls feel about that! Hoping we have some more nice weather for outdoor playtime before hibernation begins! Happy November!
Also, I use instagram as my everyday blog and share a lot of photos from our adventures in my gallery. I’d love to have you follow along!
And I share more information and photos from our field trips and outings on facebook.